Two days ago, the Rugby Smart by Samsung popped in for an appearance again, and now we can say the device is really official, thanks to an official announcement from AT&T and Samsung. The device is certainly meant to be a “durable” handset, as you can see in the tests designed to prove it as such below. And thankfully for anyone looking for a durable device running Android, AT&T hasn’t priced it completely out of reach.
The Rugby Smart is a handset that is built to mil-spec 810F standards, which basically means it will stand up to “extreme conditions” better than your standard device. It is also waterproof, which means you can submerge the device in up to a meter of water for a total of 30 minutes without any adverse effects. As far as other specs go, we’re looking at a device with a 3.7-inch WVGA touchscreen Super AMOLED display, 4GB of internal storage, and a 5MP rear-facing camera. There is a 1.3MP front-facing shooter, and a battery that is measured at 1,650mAh.
It is running Android 2.3 Gingerbread out of the box, and will be available beginning March 4th. AT&T is pricing it at $100. You can check out the videos below of the device in action, and also take a gander at the press release.
- On March 4, AT&T* will begin selling the Samsung Rugby® Smart in company-owned retail stores and online. The smartphone will be sold for $99.99 with a two-year commitment and monthly minimum data plan.
- Samsung Rugby® Smart is dustproof, can be submerged in up to 1m of water for 30 minutes, and can withstand extreme temperatures.**
- Runs on Android™ 2.3 with 4G capabilities and boasts a virtual QWERTY keyboard, 3.7-inch Super AMOLED™ touchscreen display, 5MP camera and an integrated flashlight.
Samsung Rugby® Smart
The Samsung Rugby® Smart is a rugged, dustproof device designed to handle the elements with water resistance (submergible up to 1m for 30 minutes) and built to mil-std 810f military spec standards**.The Android 2.3 smartphone features a 3.7-inch WVGA Super AMOLED touchscreen display and a 5MP camera with HD video recording***. It also supports 4G service, Wi-Fi®, corporate email and the full line of media including location, music and social networking services. From the work site to the camp site and beyond, Rugby Smart fulfills all your smartphone needs with the physical strength to handle whatever life throws at it.
- Technology: GSM, EDGE, UMTS, HSPA+
- Operating System: Android 2.3
- Display: 3.7-inch WVGA Super AMOLED display
- External Memory: Supports up to 32GB via microSD™
- Internal Memory: 4GB
- Dimensions: 122.4mm x 65.9mm x 12.19mm
- Weight: 4.2 oz
- Camera: 5MP rear facing with flash and auto focus with HD 720p video capture; 1.3 MP front facing camera;
- Battery: 1650 mAh LiIon Poly
- Talk Time: Up to 8 hours
- Standby Time: Up to 16 days
“The Samsung Rugby Smart is perfect for active customers who need another level of durability with their smartphone,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “It is water and dustproof and has all the features of a leading smartphone.”
“We continue to bring the highest quality devices – the Rugby Smart is the ultimate smartphone to withstand extreme conditions,” said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Mobile. “AT&T customers are now able to stay connected with a durable smartphone while experiencing even the roughest environment.”