Note: This tutorial is only available for the following devices which are upgraded to the latest OTA, if not then first update your device and then come back here.
So we assume by now you have latest lollipop version on your device and if so then you surely are aware of all the power your awesome nexus has got! Well yes it’s the google phone it has to be awesome and with the latest upgrade it’s now even more beautiful!
Well then why do we need root?
Well that’s because rooting you’re this nexus devices can offer things like:
- Custom boot loader, well now nexus in this thing is seriously awesome as you get best boot loader’s available for you.
- Use of best and powerful custom apps made for your phone only when it’s rooted.
- Remove the unwanted and unused apps which comes installed with device.
- Manage all that your device can do and allow only that permissions which you want using many powerful apps.
- Enhance the magic out of your device which was previously kept hidden.
- You can use hundreds of ROM’s to have different experience of android on your device!
NOTICE : Before going for the root process you need to have clockwork recovery called as CWM on your device which allows you to use custom ROM’s on your device, the installation process is given below.
PRE ROOT REQUIREMENTS:
- So now we need your nexus and your computer paired which you have to do by installing this respective drivers for your nexus 5 and nexus 7. Install them successfully before proceeding ahead, because this drivers will only ensure that your device can comfortably pair with the computer.
- Make sure that the debugging option in your settings menu is switched on before connecting the device to the computer.
- Now one small but most important step before doing anything with our device, we need a proper and safe backup of every data in that particular device, so visit play store and use any of the awesome apps and take backup of everything.
- Now when we try to root the phone it may happen that your battery would run out of power and which further would brick the phone so lets be safe and keep the battery above 75% to ensure nothing like that happen!
How to root Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 with lollipop version.
Step 1 : Now you need latest android studio on your computer to do that you need to go to the android developer’s website in this link and download the software.
Step 2 : Now its not necessary that everybody has windows so we also gave you the necessary fast boot link for mac and linux device also, so after downloading you need to keep it in this following pathandroid-sdk-windowsplatform-tools and in case it is not available you need to manually create a new directory for it but please make sure this step is successfully done. Here are the respective links as per the name, so fastboot for windows, linux and mac users.
Step 3 : Now once you have this above steps done, you need to download the CF superuser app for your phone so download and place it in your SD card’s root folder. Keep the phone connected to the pc using the given cable.
Step 4 : Now for the clockwork mode recovery we previously mentioned you need to download and save it to this path android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools the same as we mentioned previously.
Step 5 : Now your device needs to be loaded in the download mode which you have to do by pressing on few buttons together which are the volume down key and the power button of your device.
Step 6 : So now begins some tricky part so first of all go to the android-sdk-windowsplatform-toolspath and allow Command Prompt by doing the following function : Hold Shift and Right-click together and then select Command Prompt from the content menu.
Step 7 : Now when this above step is done successfully then type this commands for the respective device:
- Nexus 5: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-hammerhead.img
- Nexus 7: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-grouper.img
Step 8 : As soon as this following command is on! You need to select recovery from the fast boot and then load into boot loader recovery mode.
Step 9 : Now when you enter that CWM recovery menu choose the install zip from SD card option using the volume and power buttons to scroll through as touch won’t work and then again select choose zip option which will show you a list and then in that list choose SuperSU zip file you will find it in the list which on clicking will install it.
Step 10 : Once you see normal menu again then see click the go back button and select the reboot now option which will normally restart your device and then you can find that your nexus is rooted and is available to handle all permissions using the supersu app.