A couple of days ago, we published a report about the Android 4.2.2 OTA update for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus hitting tester devices. Well, it turns out that the lucky user who received this update not only just grabbed screenshots for our benefit, but also managed to grab the download link from Google servers. The OTA update can now be downloaded and flashed manually to update the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to 4.2.2 bringing it up on par with the rest of its Nexus siblings, if you do not want to wait until Verizon finally decides to push it out.
As a recap, the new update brings your device up to build number JDQ39 and the Android version up to 4.2.2. The jump to 4.2.2 comes with several new features, key ones being the ability to use lockscreen widgets, expandable notifications, quick settings panel, new and improved gallery, a revamped camera app with PhotoSphere functionality and overall performance improvements from earlier versions of Jelly Bean.
Keep in mind though, that this is not a new OS image, but an incremental update. Which means that you need to be running stock 4.1.1 build JRO030 to be able to apply the 4.2.2 OTA update. If you have already made the jump to CM10.1, you would need to restore you device back to stock 4.1.1 firmware from Verizon before you manually apply the new update.
As always, we have compiled a step-by-step guide which will help you flash your device to 4.2.2, and bring it up to par with all of the other Nexus devices which are already there.
How To Manually Update the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Make sure you have the right device drivers installed on your PC. You can download them here.
- Download the 4.2.2 OTA update zip file from here | Mirror. Rename the downloaded zip file to JDQ39.zip
- Download Fastboot. This is required to load the OTA update to your device. Extract the downloaded zip file to your C: Drive
- Move the JDQ39.zip file from Step 2 to the fastboot folder on your C: drive
- Make sure you have enabled USB Debugging on your phone
- Reboot your phone to recovery mode
- In recovery, scroll down to Apply update from ADB, and select it using the Power button
- Now connect the phone to your PC via USB cable, and wait till Windows configures the drivers for use through ADB
- On your PC, open the C:Fastboot folder and open a command window from the folder
- Type in the following command and hit enter
adb sideload JDQ39.zip
- You will now see a sending:sideload message in the command window. Once the update has been pushed to your device, recovery will start flashing it.
- Wait for the update to get flashed, and then select Go Back > Reboot System Now in recovery
Cheers!! You have successfully updated your device to the latest Android version 4.2.2, and your device now joins the ranks of the privileged