Sony’s Xperia Z is everything that one could hope for in a flagship high-end device. A gorgeous FullHD 1080p display, blazing fast processor with enough RAM to support it, extreme levels of dust & water resistance, superlative camera sensors, an ultra sleek design…the list goes on. But as is the case with all such beautiful & utterly desirable products, from Sony or any other OEM for that matter, all those goodies come at a price that could burn a hole in your pocket. Ringing in at upwards of $700, it is certainly not a device that everybody will be able to afford.
However, that doesn’t mean that you cannot get a taste of the Xperia Z on your existing Android device. This is Android, after all, and one of the key things that sets it apart from the rest of the mobile platforms, is the natove ability to customize almost every nook and cranny of the device to your preference.
XDA member ra3al has just released an awesome looking launcher app which replicates the Xperia Z launcher and homescreen look to your existing Android phone, plus has additional functionality added. Most people spend a lot of time looking at their phone screens in some way or the other, and a fresh new look is most certainly welcome. Which is essentially why there are a whole bunch of launcher alternatives out there on the Play Store, in free as well as paid flavors.
The Advanced Xperia Z Launcher app works with any Android device which runs ICS 4.0.3 or higher, and can be installed as any other regular app without any trouble. Here’s a quick break down of the original feature set , as well as advanced functionality that has been built in by the dev.
- Arrange, add and remove home screens
- Organize your apps in the App drawer by placing them in folders (only available when sorting method is “Own order”)
- Search for apps in the App drawer
- Share apps on social networks
Advanced Functionality added by the dev
- Support for any resolution and any DPI setting
- User selectable desktop and App drawer grid size (from 3×3 up to 12×12)
- User assignable swipe, pinch and double tap gestures and button actions
- Infinite scrolling
- Hiding apps on the app drawer
- Support for Go Launcher and Launcher Pro icon packs
- Personalize individual shortcuts’ icon and label
- Backup & restore launcher settings
- Adding shortcuts to launcher actions and to any activity
As you can see, that’s a pretty comprehensive list of features on an awesome looking launcher. If you like what you see, you can head over to ra3al’s XDA thread to download and install the Advanced Xperia Z launcher, and transform the way your phone looks.